Covid-19 – What We're Doing at East Lodge
When you book your break you’ll want to be sure that East Lodge has been thoroughly cleaned so that any viruses have been dealt with. So how can you be sure that the property comes up to scratch?
Well, we’ve reviewed all the guidance for self-catering businesses on this issue from government and our trade bodies and have put together a robust plan to make sure that East Lodge passes muster every time guests step through the door. It’s not just about cleaning anymore, but disinfecting as well.
We’ve also signed up to two quality marks: ‘AA Covid-19 Confident’ and ‘Good To Go’. Both are national industry standards for tourism businesses, designed to show that we have followed government and industry Covid-19 guidelines, have developed a risk assessment plan and a process to maintain cleanliness and aid social distancing. You’ll see the logos on this page and others on our website.
Here are the details of what we’re doing to combat any potential threat from coronavirus (or any other nasty little blighters for that matter!):
- After guests have left, we open doors and windows to air the property. Then, following our usual thorough cleaning regime, all rooms are sprayed with disinfectant products which meet the EN14476 and EN1276 accreditation criteria. We use different sprays for different materials (hard surfaces, linens, upholstery etc.), but all are certified to kill off viruses and bacteria. We have sourced a range of largely odour-free chemicals which are safe to use in confined spaces.
- We pay particular attention to commonly touched surfaces, such as light switches, door and cupboard handles, remote control units etc., as well as the various pieces of kitchen equipment (toaster, kettle, microwave and so on).
- Cutlery, crockery, glassware and pans are cleaned using a hot dishwasher cycle. Floors and rugs are vacuumed, cleaned and then either mopped or sprayed as appropriate with one of the virucidal products. Bed linens and towels are washed on a hot cycle and later steam ironed. Duvets and mattresses are sprayed and aired.
- Of course, we’ll be observing social distancing rules and wearing personal protective equipment whilst we do all of this.
- In order to allow time to work through this process robustly we will be leaving at least 48 hours between bookings for now. This means that if a group of guests leaves the property on Monday morning we won’t be allowing anyone else to check in until Wednesday afternoon at the earliest. This will provide ample time for all cleaned and sanitised surfaces to dry and air properly.
- Whilst in the past we have provided items for guests such as loose tea, coffee and sugar; a ‘welcome basket’ (fruit and some sweeter items); and various kitchen essentials (condiments and oils etc.), for the time being we will only be providing items which are in unopened packets, bottles or containers (or which are in containers which can easily be wiped down and sanitised). Some items (e.g. kitchen roll) will be rotated to allow time for any nasty bugs to disappear. Whilst all of this reduces the personal touch somewhat, we hope it will be reassuring for guests.
- In order to minimise personal contact, Ian will not be providing brief introductory tours of the lodge’s facilities for the time being. Instead, you will find a handy laminated guide containing all the information you need on the kitchen noticeboard. Naturally, Ian will be available by phone or e-mail if you have any queries during your stay.
- Upon your arrival at East Lodge the back door will be unlocked and keys (sanitised!) left for you. Ian will be outside to greet you, but won’t go inside the property.
- Finally, we’ll leave you a supply of liquid soap and hand sanitiser so that you can wash and disinfect your hands as you come and go.
We hope that all of these measures will provide guests with reassurance and allow them to have a relaxing and enjoyable stay at East Lodge.